Pro Hart Outback Art Prize continues to grow
Published on 04 June 2019
The Pro Hart Outback Art Prize has attracted record entries for the third year in a row, with 382 applications received.
The tally comfortably surpasses the previous record of 325 set in the lead up to last year's competition.
Council's Gallery and Museum Manager, Tara Callaghan, said the continued growth in entries was reflective of the prestige of the event.
"We've again had record entries from all States across Australia, which shows the calibre of the competition” said Ms Callaghan.
“It also helped that we have had significant state and national media interest in the event over the last two years.
"This year’s entries closed on May 31, and the judging panel have the daunting task of narrowing the field to a shortlist of finalists.
"Once that process is complete, we will have an amazing array of art across a number of mediums, the quality of entries is exceptional."
Final judging will be undertaken by Nici Cumpston at the exhibition launch on 19 July at the Broken Hill Regional Art Gallery.
Ms Cumpston is the Curator of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Art and Artistic Director of TARNANTHI Festival at Art Gallery of South Australia, and has a long and successful career as both a practicing artist and curator.
This year's event will consist of an acquisitive first prize ($20,000), a non-acquisitive second prize ($2,000), and a People's Choice Award ($1000).
The Pro Hart Outback Art Prize is funded by Council, and the Hart family. Council wishes to thank the Hart family for their generous continued support of this event.